Travelling is not a hobby or a leisure activity it is a lifestyle, the art of living. If you are born as a human never die without being a traveller. It is full of fun, experience, learning, fitness, patience, strength, and also marvellous memories. Once someone has said something like this, “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page”. So, never let yourself to leave without tasting the rest of the story, at the minimum some of the paragraphs.
When you are on a tour fully allocate yourself for it and let your soul feel and experience it better. Travelling is not only moving from somewhere to another but also a therapy for your stressed mind and restless lifestyle. It takes away your all worries for a moment and heals your wounded heart with fresh feelings. Travelling is not free, but if you wait for money it won’t happen and you will miss that time as well. Just think travelling without a plan works better than a pre-planned tour sometime, just like a surprise.
Here, I am sharing my splendid experience and memories at Kirioluhena, a hillock located in Sabaragamuwa Province. An extremely stunning place to disconnect from the phone and reconnect with nature. It took us a completely strange world from the anxious modern society. Ten of us were stuck in a little forest for three-four days, it was awesome.
- Tent Camping: We choose a flat hillside as the campground and we camped on the hilltop as well. It was just like a home for us, we even had store tent and a kitchen made temporary furniture such as a bench, table, and swing with wood. There is a spring head by the side of the campground and it becomes a lovely stream flows down, provided a place for fresh water bath and swimming. Just imagine, sleeping under the stars in a forest on a hillock, near a stream, no one won’t have any doubt to decide that I had a glorious time there. Camp Cooking is another remarkable experience at camping. Actually, it was awesome and pleasurable cooking together.
- Campfire at night: If we had no campfire there it would be a great shortage of camping practice. So, we had a campfire at one night and it lasted all over the night. We had good singers so didn’t forget to have great fun, all of us had some chilling stories to tell around the campfire, sometimes they were expressive experience or memories of someone. Campfire also provided warmth and light for us since we didn’t have any other light supply except lanterns.
- Hiking: One night we hiked up to the hilltop, as I have already stated we camped on the hilltop too. It was very rare and remarkable experience for me hiking under the stars. Even it was challenging and risky task I loved to accept that type of dare.
- On the peak in the moonlight: Finally, we got the chance to stay one night on the peak in the moonlight and I still remember that a bit cold gale there. The fetching view around the hillock from the top was amazing and it never made my eyes tired, even though I watched it all over the night.
- Stream Hike: Once I had a stream hike there with one of my friends as well, the stream flows over large rocks and they made our journey harder sometimes. We had to cross the stream by hanging on huge woody vines. At the end of the day, we were able to get the top by overcoming each and every challenge we faced.
When all is said and done all of us got amazing experience and glorious memories to our lives through this wild tour.
By Aloka Perera